The seventh annual Plumbing and Fire Industry Awards (PFIA) were held Friday 10 March 2023 at Crown Palladium.
As members would be aware, the Coronavirus crisis unfortunately forced us to postpone the Annual General Meeting. At this event members are advised of the results of elections, we provide a report of the past year and present milestone certificates to members and hear the interesting stories behind their businesses.
We plan to celebrate these member milestones later in the year and have sent a copy of the Annual Report to all members. This article updates members on the results of the 2020 elections, which are conducted by an independent Returning Officer.
To assist members understand the governance structure of the Association an outline of each body is first provided.
National Council provides oversight of the Association’s policies, Rules and member conduct. National Councillors are elected for a two-year term from their member categories (B to F) by members of the Association in that category. Half of National Council is up for election each year.
Executive Board has broad powers to set the direction and provide oversight of the operations and governance of the Association. This is then implemented and managed by the Chief Executive Officer. Executive Board members are drawn from and elected by National Council. They serve a two-year term, with half of the Executive Board up for election each year.
The office bearers of the Association comprise the President, two Vice-Presidents and a Treasurer elected by the National Council annually.
The Association Secretary is elected by National Council and serves a four-year term. For reasons of operational practicality, the Secretary traditionally has been the CEO.
I am pleased to inform members of the results of the recent National Council, Board and office bearer elections (in alphabetical order)
- Norm Anderson: Vice-President*, Executive Board, National Councillor
- Phillip Craig: National Councillor*
- Peter Daly: Secretary*, CEO, Executive Board (non-voting), National Council (non-voting)
- Grant Donald: Treasurer*, Executive Board, National Councillor
- Scott Dowsett: President*, Executive Board, National Councillor
- Ken Gardner: Executive Board (non-voting)
- Rob Hansen: Executive Board*, National Councillor*
- Glenn Howard: National Councillor*
- Peter Jensen: National Councillor
- David McCarthy: National Councillor*
- Kevin Shinners: Vice-President*, Executive Board, National Councillor
- Daniel Smolenaars: Executive Board*, National Councillor*
- Greg Tink: Executive Board*, National Councillor*
- Michael Tomlinson: Executive Board*, National Councillor*
- Chris Unwin: National Councillor
* indicates elected in 2020.