I’m from another country, moving to Australia

If you are currently in another country and considering moving to Australia, this page is for you.

Who can work legally in Victoria, Australia?

All migrants must be Registered or Licensed with the Victorian Building Authority. It is illegal to operate and conduct work without being Registered or Licensed, and substantial penalties apply.

To conduct Plumbing Work in Victoria, you must obtain a Plumber’s Registration or License from the Victorian Building Authority. 

Overseas job-seekers and Apprentices

Migrating to commence an apprenticeship is usually difficult to achieve due to these requirements.

Employer and Apprentices subsidies, as well as fee help for training fees, are only available to Australian Citizens/Permanent Residents, NZ Citizens who have been resident in Australia for at least 6 months and a limited class of Visas. For more information, contact the Department of Home Affairs and the Department of Education.

Migrant plumbers 

The usual pathway for overseas plumbers is to obtain a skills assessment under the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP).

Trades Recognition Australia (TRA) can put you in touch with a TRA-approved registered training organisation (RTO) to conduct the skills assessment. If successful, you will be issued an Offshore Technical Skills Record (OTSR). After obtaining the OTSR, you can then apply to the Victorian Building Authority for provisional registration. An OTSR holder is also issued a migration outcome letter to apply for migration with the Department of Home Affairs (Home Affairs).

Migrant plumbers with an overseas qualification are encouraged to contact the TRA.