Registration and compliance

You need to be registered or licensed in every class of plumbing work that you intend to do.

In all States and Territories of Australia plumbing is a regulated trade. In Victoria the regulator of the plumbing industry is the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). All apprentice training is carried out in accordance with VBA guidelines.

Master Plumbers is the leading apprentice training and job placement provider in Victoria.

To discuss how membership can benefit your business please call the Membership Team on 03 9329 9622 or e-mail [email protected].

To register VBA requires:

  1. The successful completion of at least one of the following courses. This must include the Approved Competency Units for the class (or classes) of plumbing work you are seeking registration in:
    • Certificate III in Plumbing
    • Certificate III in Plumbing (Mechanical Services)
    • Certificate III in Roof Plumbing
    • Certificate III in Fire Protection
    • Certificate III in Drainage
    • Certificate II in Urban Irrigation
    • Certificate III in Airconditioning and Refrigeration.
  2. Successful completion of the VBA’s registration exam (commonly referred to as “the journeyman’s exam”).
    1. Units of Competency for Drainage, Gasfitting, Irrigation (Non-agricultural), Mechanical Services, Roofing, Sanitary, Type B Gasfitting and Water Supply
    2. Units of Competency for Fire Protection
    3. Units of Competency for Refrigerated Air-conditioning
    4. Units of Competency for Type A Appliance Conversion, Type A Appliance Servicing, Type B Gasfitting Advanced, Backflow Prevention and Thermostatic Mixing Valve

In addition, VBA also requires:

  • Successful completion of a plumbing apprenticeship in Australia; or
  • Practical experience in the class of plumbing work you are seeking registration in:
    • Two years of practical experience for Drainage, Type B Gasfitting and Irrigation (Non-agricultural)
    • Four years of practical experience for Fire Protection, Gasfitting, Mechanical Services, Refrigerated Air-conditioning, Roofing (Stormwater), Sanitary and Water Supply

You must be licensed or supervised by someone who is licensed in every class you intend to work in.

A licensed plumber has a higher standard of knowledge and experience than a plumber who is registered or in training. Licensed plumbers are able to issue consumers with a compliance certificate, which certifies that their work complies with the relevant plumbing standards, codes and regulations. And they hold insurance that protects consumers when their plumbing work is found to be defective.