Know the answers

Master Plumbers technical-advice team share their answers to frequently asked questions, which, in this edition are a mixed bag.

Know the answers

Q. Do I need to supply a compliance certificate when I complete metal wall cladding?

A. No, although it needs to be installed in accordance with the National Construction Code (NCC) and the relevant Australian Standards. Metal wall cladding does not fall in the scope of prescribed plumbing works. Therefore, you don’t need to issue a certificate of compliance, because it is not considered plumbing work.

Q. How much overhang do roof tiles need to have into an eves gutter?

A. This information has been sought a few times recently by plumbers who were replacing gutters. The installing practitioners were concerned they did not have enough overhang for the water to adequately drain into the gutter.

The ABCB Housing Provisions (clause 7.3.6) stipulates that roof tiles only need to overhang the fascia by not less than 35mm. Whilst the tile overhang doesn’t fall under the plumbing scope, if the overhang is less than this, you should notify the client to have it rectified.

Q. Can a cook top regulator be installed behind the oven?

A. The Gas Standard 5601.1:2022 (Clause 6.6.5(c)) states: “Where the gas pressure regulator for an appliance is supplied as a separate component, it shall be installed as close as practicable to the appliance and accessible for servicing and adjustment”.

Accessible is the key here. In the standard accessible is defined as:

“Access can be gained without hazard or undue difficulty for inspection, repair, testing, renewal, or operational purposes.”

On the other hand, readily accessible is where: “Access can be gained without hazard, undue difficulty, or use of a tool.”

So, if you can remove the screws from the front of the oven and slide it out to gain access, technically it is accessible. Although is it without hazard or undue difficulty? This is the debate.

Having said that, we have previously discussed this topic with ESV and they have said it would only be accepted in an installation, if there was physically nowhere else to have the regulator installed.

Q. Can my apprentice perform a Gas Safety Check?

A. There is no straight-forward answer. So, we will unpack it to try to highlight the nuances.

Gas safety Check incorporates servicing of the appliance. In order to service or repair a Type A gas Appliance you must hold a min Registration or Licence in that specialised class.

The training for servicing a Type A appliance is set at Certificate IV level and apprentice training is at Certificate III level so an apprentice gasfitter cannot carry out servicing of a Type A Appliance.

Q. What are the required clearances around an RPZD?

A. The only set clearance in AS/NZS 3500.1 is to “have the relief drain outlet located not less than 300mm above the finished surface level”. That being said, there are two other factors that should always be considered:

  1. Some manufacturers specify different/additional clearances, so you should always consult the manufacturers installation instruction for your specific valve.
  2. You should always ensure there is adequate clearance around the valve for easy servicing, repair, and replacement.
Global Pumps Website Advertising April, May, June 2024


Global Pumps Website Advertising April, May, June 2024


Related articles